Monday, November 10, 2008

Movie Review: Role Models

Last Friday night, Tiff and I went to see Role Models with Seann William Scott (heh, remember him in American Pie?) and Paul Rudd. The movie theater we went to usually doesn't pack a crowd, so we were surprised to see such a good turnout for this movie on opening night. So, that has to be a good sign, right?!

The story goes like this: Two co-workers are promoting an energy drink and get into a mishap with the police (minor car theft accident) which lands them in a community service program that's similar to Big Brothers Big Sisters. Seann and Paul's characters (Wheeler and Danny respectively) are assigned to mentor two kids with particular issues. One kid is a major troublemaker and the other lives in a D&D (Dungeons & Dragons for all you non-players... heh, Mikey loves playing this!) type fantasy world. THEN, all the fun begins!

Ok, the movie started off great with alot of laughs (btw... it's rated R). But, somewhere in the middle, it lost some of its gusto. I thought the message was a good one that co-workers can really become friends and even the most troubled kids can be helped with the "right person" to show them the way, which in turn helps their mentors understand what real caring is. Even the role of the director of the service program as an ex-con was a nice touch (played by Jane Lynch... an Illinois State University alum from right here in town!). However, the movie didn't really give anything new. I felt it was just an R-rated version of the old cliche.

But, I did really enjoy one part where Wheeler was trying to explain the greatness of an infamous band to his little buddy, which ties into a sweet part at the end. I'll give you a hint:

(pause playlist at bottom)

I'm a little partial to this song though... I LOVE it! Kandy actually had this piano music and I could never play it as well as she did, but nonetheless, I still play it just about everytime I visit my parents house (which isn't too far away!). :)

No comments: